Mark Allen's Stuttering Therapy Program
Mark Allen's complete program is here.
After Mark's untimely passing in 2018, his family granted Judy Kuster permission to make freely available his therapy program, Speak Freely: Essential Speech Skills for School-aged Children Who Stutter. It is embodied in two volumes: The Therapist Handbook and the Student Workbook, supported and illustrated by numerous audio and video files. The program is designed to be appropriate for school-age children and adolescents between ages 7 and 18. Adults who stutter may also find this information valuable.
Suggestions for Use
- Click on the title links below to read the Handbook and Workbook online.
- Use the provided links and your "back" button to navigate around the books.
- In each Handbook chapter you will find links to the audio and video files in which Mark describes and demonstrates the techniques taught in that chapter.
- The audio files reside on the website and clicking on the links should open them for you to listen to.
The video files reside on Vimeo and you can view them ad-free (except for Vimeo's invitation to use them — click the X to make them disappear).
- You might need to "reload" the first Vimeo file you view to get it started. After that they will open as usual.
- For convenience in therapy you may find it useful to download the materials as follows:
- You can print the Handbook and Workbook pages on paper — just print from your browser.
- Audio files may be downloaded if desired — various browsers have different methods for doing that.
- Download the video files to your computer by clicking the down-pointing arrow under the bottom-right corner of the picture.
- Please note that all program files are not normal web pages, but PDF files (so you can easily print them out) or audio/video files — that means you might have to be a bit more patient than usual as you wait for the files to open on your screen.
- Especially note how these materials may be uniquely adaptable for telepractice.
Thanks to Ginny Bessler and Tom Kuster who formatted Mark's materials for presentation online.
Read more about Mark here.
ASHA Leader article explaining the core of his program is here with ASHA's permission.