Especially for People Who Stutter
- Message to a stutterer by Joseph Sheehan
- Tough Talking by Tim Shanks, on the work Joseph Sheehan. First published in the Spring 1990 issue of 'Speaking Out', the newletter of the British Stammering Association. (from web archive)
His Professional Contributions
- Bibliography of Joseph Sheehan's Work
- Approach - Avoidance Conflict Revisited an article by Christine Hyde, from the British Stammering Association
- Excepts from the writings of Joseph Sheehan, from his Memorial Service. (original also available on the British Stammering Association website.
- Remarks from Oliver Bloodstein at a memorial program for Joseph Sheehan, ASHA Convention.
- Interview with Joseph Sheehan Highlights from "The Iceberg of Stuttering" (1968). A classic presentation of Sheehan's ideas: stuttering as approach-avoidance conflict, vicious circle, status-gap problem, false-role disorder, and the stutterer as "giant in chains."
- Information on ordering two - >No Words To Say Joseph G. Sheehan's Message To A Stuttere video
- Easy Stuttering by Vivian Sheehan, M.A., CCC; Pamela Shanks, M.A., CCC and Stephen Mereu - price $9.98 (consists of articles and assignments based on the ideas and concepts Joseph Sheehan. Most of the assignments were originally written by him).
- Short Course in Diagnosis and Treatment of Stuttering: Conflict Theory and Avoidance-Reduction Therapy - summarizes Sheehan's views on stuttering and therapy (on the British Stammering Association website).
Up close and personal - biography, personal story
- Biography of Joseph Sheehan - Joseph G. Sheehan, Psychology: Los Angeles - 1918-1983, Professor, Biography from the University of California: In Memoriam, 1985, Online Archive of California
- Audio files of Joseph Sheehan
- Joseph Sheehan, part of ASHA panel 1957
- Joseph Sheehan, part of a 1959 panel of specialists at a University of Wisconsin symposium
- Joseph Sheehan, part of ASHA panel 1977
- A conversation between Charles Van Riper and Joseph Green Sheehan - made at the annual meeting of the Council of Adult Stutterers held on November 20, 1966
His friends and family remember
Completely updated March 29, 2019
Last modified March 29, 2019